Tuesday, March 1, 2011

health and hearth

WARNING! Today's entry explains how to be healthy by eating this:


So, if you are fuzzy about how good chocolate is for the soul, either read on to be convinced, or tune out now and check back tomorrow for a different entry! 


This morning I work up (really early) and rolled over to find my sweet husband still snoozing, even though he was to report to work in about 35 minutes. Begrudgingly, I began to stretch and prepare for the dreaded moment that I muster enough energy and motivation to bring my back off of the pillow top and swing my legs over the side of the bed. Every morning, this is the moment of truth.



Unfortunately, my body had other plans. Suddenly, as I lifted my arms into the air and reached out, my neck cramped and a stiffening crick took over. Is this what 25 does to you?! Maybe if my bed looked like this one that I spied on Bluegrass Love, I wouldn't get neck pains!


As some of you know, I recently hit the quarter-century mark, and although I'm not convinced that I physically feel the effects of 25 yet, the birthday did serve as a reminder that I'm getting older. With this reminder, came a renewed dedication to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

I'm really not into fitness. Honestly, I'd rather teach a class naked, throw all of my strawberry laffy taffys down the drain, and sign my child over to Somalian pirates than start a hard core workout routine. (Okay, truthfully, I could stand the gym a day or two a week if it meant keeping custody of my son.) Anyway, you get the picture. I don't like to work out. Running is my nemesis, and I'm just not good at getting in the gym and crowding around the mirrors to watch myself jiggle in places that I like to forget exist.

I have, however, worked hard since puberty to maintain a positive self-image. Sure, there are things about myself that I would love to change. I'd like to erase the stretch marks, take off some lbs, and I would love to have silky, thin, naturally beautiful hair. But, let's be real, there are things about everyone that they don't like about themselves. Therefore, I've made a conscious decision to love myself. Accept myself. and not focus on the small stuff.

With that being said, I recently realized that even though I won't go to the gym every day, it is still important to make healthy food choices, get sufficient rest, stay active, and keep a balanced life. And while celebrating another birthday, I decided to refocus my energy on the above. I will stay healthy, not for my selfish ego, but for my family's sake, and so that I can set a good example to my children, family, and friends.

In order to keep that lifestyle balance that I was speaking of, it's important to reward yourself every now and then. And THAT is exactly why I threw myself a birthday party this past weekend. It isn't that my husband wasn't willing, it's just that sometimes you have to take the initiative and make things the way you want them. So, I invited all my friends, gathered yummy-sounding recipes, and hosted myself a throw-down (with children and grandparents invited, so yea... it wasn't that much of a throw-down). Anywho, one of the yummy-sounding recipes I've been dying to try is called Cake Batter Chocolate Bark. I'm pretty much in love with anything containing cake mix, but I've gotta admit, this was extra delish! Check out the recipe on How Sweet It Is.

Happy Day, Happy Day!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you're SO old (insert sarcasm...says the woman who is 7 years older than you). I feel the same way about working out that you do and can't STAND those people who just LOVE going to the gym. I think maybe they're lying to make themselves look and sound better. I've been trying to motivate myself to do something active since the boy was born (I still need to drop about 15 pounds) but I just can't seem to get going. I want to try Zumba, but it starts at 7 PM, which is about the time we start doing our bedtime routine. Hmmmm. If I could get up earlier, then I could do a workout DVD in my living room, but that would mean getting up before 5 AM. Ugh. I don't know the answer, but just know you're not alone in how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a family walk in the afternoon? I have the same issues! Just don't want to get out of the house after I come home from work, because I already have so little time with Porter. :( Oh the issues of a new mom!

    ReplyDelete