Tuesday, May 17, 2011

today, not tomorrow.

Romans 8:27-31 (New International Version)

27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.
 28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

I haven't posted in a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been praying. I have. My prayers lately have been focused on the things in life that are the most precious to me. My husband, my Porter, my Mom and brothers, my close friends, and then there's my career.

God is answering prayers, and it's EXCITING! This past week at church, Brother Mike talked about how most of the time we are surprised when God answers a prayer. That's how I've felt lately.

One big concern that I've shared with my frogs (Friends who follow my blog) is that my job was getting unmanageable.

Prayer answered.

Things are quickly changing at my place of employment, and I know it is a direct result of, not only my prayers, but the prayers of MANY people. God is working, even in the secular, worldly and messed up realm of higher education. I can't wait to see what is going to change because of the dedicated and faithful prayers of my fellow believers.

At the same time, I'm pensive. Even when I pray for change, and God grants change, I'm still nervous about change. *GASP* Lisa? Afraid of change? Really? The girl who loves to pack up and road trip at the drop of a hat? The girl who could go days on end not knowing where I'll sleep each night? The girl who makes her toddler switch outfits at least three times a day? The girl who hates to take the same route to work every morning? The same one who can't stand to wear the same headband two days in a row?

Yes, change sometimes scares me.

So, I asked God for a verse that would help me accept the changes, without worrying too much. I read this a couple of days ago in my devotional.


"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
Matthew 6:34

Wow, God. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Isn't that the truth?

With that being said, here's my prayer for today:

God, you know I've got enough trouble for today. I have to find a babysitter. I have to fix something for dinner. I have that tough meeting first thing, and God, please help me stand up for myself and hold my own. I know Porter will be grumpy by the time I get home, and he must be going through a phase now, because it really hurts my feelings when he doesn't want anything to do with me. I've got that reception this afternoon, and then the commencement ceremony tonight. Please help me be kind and gracious when I'm interacting with those people. Help me and Brad to get along. Help us to see life from each other's perspective and help us to fall for each other over and over again each day. Make our marriage stronger to glorify you today. Make our communication skills stellar, so we can be better parents and better partners. God, help me to stay focused on your will today. You know I get dreamy sometimes and carried away on most days trying to control every nook and cranny of my life. So, please God, today, help me to defer to your will for my life. 


So, it seems that I have enough to do today, God. Could you please take care of tomorrow? 

1 comment: