Wednesday, May 25, 2011

self image

Inspired by a lovely blog post over at not your average ordinary, I've made a list of five things I love about myself. Not going to lie, when I first accepted the task, I sat at my desk, pen poised, and froze inside. But, after a few moments, I realized it isn't that hard to love a few things about me... after all, I'm pretty amazing.

I feel better already--

uno.
the back-side of my hands. because they look like my mothers. they have veins that stick up and scars that could tell stories. They remind me of my mother's hard work, loving touch, and steady faith. They remind me to be like her.

dos.
I am smart. There, I said it. My gosh, I'm so glad that's out. I am an intelligent, well-spoken, driven, strong-willed, confident, fabulous go-getter. and I love it!

tres.
I have a way with words. I understand them. I like them. I use them. communication and language are the keys to the chaos that is my life.

cuatro.
I got culture! no really, I am cultured and open-minded, but I have opinions and I'm not afraid to stand up for what I believe.

cinco.
my pain tolerance. I'm not a wimp. my body is strong and healthy, and although I'm not invincible, I have a high threshold for something to bother me.

For a long time I've been passionate about self-image. In our society, women especially struggle SO much with negative feelings about who they are and mostly, what they look like. While my list wasn't really about looks, it was a fantastic exercise just to think of things that I love about myself.

I don't know what God is saying to me yet about this issue, but I do know that he wants to use me to communicate to young girls and women that they are special, beautiful, loved, important, valuable and precious in His eyes.

Today, this is my prayer:

God, use me. Help me make those around me feel special. Help me be an encourager, because I know that's a gift you've given me. Help me to realize the special things about myself, and help me to help others feel special as well. God, thank you for loving me, and creating me just the way you wanted!

No comments:

Post a Comment